Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Making Your List. . . and Checking it TWICE


I want you to know, I get crazy confused around the holidays when it comes to gifts- - who I've already bought for, who needs buying for, and "Oh! Wonder if this comes in my size!?" (I always find something for ME around the holidays. Heck, I deserve it! All that shopping makes me want to go home with a little somethin'-somethin'!!) Anyways, this spreadsheet, although quite simplistic in nature, has through the years been my tried-and-true method of making my gift list.

This gift list is not in a notebook, so traditionally I tri-fold it and keep it in my purse. That way, no matter where I am, there it is. Literally. I can add gift ideas to it in pencil (This is the ONLY TIME OF THE YEAR I use a pencil!), then I can change my mind later if I've determined I was temporarily insane when I initially wrote it. When the gift is bought, I simply put a line through the gift, and when wrapped, ye ol' trusty highlighter completes the gift. I know by looking at this list what gift ideas I have, what has been bought, and what has been wrapped. When I am finished buying for that particular person, I simply put an "X" in the "X" column, signifying to me that I'm ready to see that person at Christmas.

I mean, I don't want to be caught red-handed around Christmas without a gift for someone! I have been known to do that, and there's nothing like that feeling of being a true "heel" for either forgetting to bring a gift, or forgetting the person entirely.

It's not pretty. Doesn't feel good at all.

So, do yourself a favor, and if you don't have a "plan of attack" when it comes to gift lists, try this one out. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how simple this is.

Go ahead. Download the form. You'll thank me for this later!

No comments: